Monday, November 1, 2010

Welcome ... And An Explanation

Thanks for visiting this--my newest (and sixth) blog. How on earth did I collect six blogs?! I never thought I'd turn into "one of those." But here we are.

I thought it would be appropriate to explain the name in this first post. A few years back, I had an idea for a website focused on organizing your life. (I know, I know ... there are thousands and thousands of those sites already in existence.) But I wasn't just after organizing ... I wanted to focus on the whole "nesting" aspect of homemaking: making things cozy, warm, welcoming; making, in effect, a haven for your family and your friends. And so, with these thoughts in mind, I settled on the name "Twig and Feather." The thinking behind that name is that a good nest needs both twigs for structure and feathers for comfort. Budgets are necessary; routine is good. But candlelight makes a difference. So does music, and flowers, and a warm, flannel lap quilt.

The website hit a snag. Mostly, the forum-model my business partner proposed (and which worked great for his male-reader sites) wasn't a good fit for my female readers. And the main feature I had envisioned for our site was too expensive for us to launch. So the site languished.

But my desire to explore all those nesty topics didn't go away. It simmered. Frequently, after I'd posted a note on Facebook about one of my journal entries, or a meal I'd just cooked, friends would comment and ask for the recipe. Some suggested I collect it all for a book. The thought kept simmering. And then recently, it occurred to me that there was no reason at all why I shouldn't just skip the forum-model and go to what I know best: blogging.

And so ... here we are. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment